course provides Theoretical info as well as a
Confined Water Session and Open
Water training Dives
Hunting and Collection: This course is designed to introduce the diver to techniques
used for underwater hunting and collection of marine life captured for food.
is formatted for hunting and collection around the islands of Trinidad and Tobago,
although many principles and guidelines will be the same no matter where one goes.
can sign up ?
Recommended : PADI Advanced Open Water Divers or Junior
Advanced Open Water Divers, minimum age 12 yrs.
and Freedivers age 12 and over.
1. Basic Open Water SCUBA equipment as per PADI guidelines.
2. Collection: Catch bag or stringer.
3. Collecting tools : i.e. Spear
gun, Tickle Stick, Polespear, Gloves
Overview and Topics to be covered
1. What can be collected and the best times and locations and methods for
Hunting Tools and Implements :History
Types, Use, Safety, Spearfishing Rules
Spearguns,Tips & Rubber : Types, handling, maintenance and care.
tools / implements for hunting and collection e.g Polespears, tickle sticks
Collection and removal of marine life captured.
6. Use of SCUBA & Other Equipment
and dive techniques for hunting.
7. Free Diving for hunting.
8. The hunt
: stalking, best times to hunt, currents, moon phases, tides, baiting of water.
9. Use of the Buddy System in Hunting
10. The ethics and etiquette of
11. Rules and Laws governing hunting - T & T / Guidelines and Law
12. Dive Tables / Recreational Dive Planner
Basic Boat Handling to tender for hunters
Water Session / Pool :
Rule # 1 : SBADT
handling of speargun including
Loading and reloading
Position and bracing
Learning "effective" range of gun - shooting stationery
target & moving target
Hyperventilation technique & Shallow
Water Black out
Buddy System in Hunting
Water Training Dives :
allow for application of what is learnt to the Open Water Environment.
a hunting / dive site.